Civil and Criminal Law Explained...Basics 101

Civil and Criminal Law Explained....

Comments

  1. Before taking this class, if someone would have asked me what criminal law was and what civil law was, I would have assumed that they were the same thing. But criminal law consists of things determined illegal by federal government. This can include crimes such as burglary and assault. In a criminal case, one faces prosecution by the state. Therefore, in criminal law, one party is always either the State or the Government. There does not always have to be a victim though, as a common arrest for a DUI is a criminal case against the government because you were endangering society. In criminal law cases, someone can be facing possible incarceration or paying a fine of some sort.
    Civil law is the dealing with of lawsuits, between groups and organizations. This is not a person versus the State or the Government. In a civil case, there is never going to be incarceration of either party. An x amount of money will usually be paid off and that will basically be the extent of it.
    gh_blackhawks002

    ReplyDelete
  2. Reading this article gave me a better understanding between civil law and criminal law. Even though we talked about this in class, it gave me more information of the two. Like the examples of each was really helpful too and gave sort of a wall between how one is interpreted. According to this, the greatest difference between civil law and criminal law is the notion of punishment. The types of punishments one can receive is incarceration in jail, imposing fine, or in rare cases by executions or by death penalty. From this i also learned, which i didn't know before and wondered what categories these fell into, that contract last, family law, tort law, property law and labor law all fell under the category of civil law/civil matters. Another thing i didn't know is that criminal and civil law cases can involve the same crime and same evidence and parties, but they will just be treated differently and come up with different results. Kt002

    ReplyDelete
  3. So the difference between Civil and Criminal law is likely not widely known to each individual in our society. Basically, Civil law is when crimes are directly against other citizens. And when your crimes put society in danger, bringing possible harm to many people? That's your criminal laws. If you drive around drunk, you threaten the lives of everybody on the streets (and sidewalks). This wide-ranged threat becomes a societal danger, and criminal law enforces it. So when you go to court for a DUI, you are fighting the state or federal government. So that is similar to saying that it would be you against the world, and the world has a lot of friends. Criminal law is a dangerous thing to mess with as you are facing possible incarceration.
    Civil law usually has to do between two individuals. This can be less serious, but not always. At least the world isn't against you, it's just the person or company you directly offended. - AJC002

    ReplyDelete
  4. Many people may not realize there are many differences between Criminal and Civil law. I know before reading this article that I did not know just how different they were. In Criminal law, one of the parties is always either the state or government. This is because a crime such as murder, for instance, not only harms the victim's family, but also causes fear in the community and undermines public confidence. However, there does not necessarily have to be a direct victim in criminal cases. For example, state governments will arrest people who drive under the influence because they are putting the public at large in great danger as a result of their actions. Punishment for criminal law results in some form of incarceration whereas in civil law the defendant is just asked to reimburse the plaintiff for all losses occurred due to the defendants' actions and no incarceration is necessary. I found it interesting that due to additional elements of danger, this grants criminal defendants more rights and protections than civil defendants. This makes sense to me because criminal cases obviously involve more serious incidents where as civil cases are usually law suits or class action matters. In criminal cases, the defendant does not have to prove anything because they are presumed innocent until proven guilty, but in civil cases, the defendant has to refute the plaintiffs evidence against them. The plaintiff wins the litigation if the evidence that they show against the defendant is proved or accepted as favoring the plaintiff. CAE002

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad I read this because this really goes into the differences between the two and just lay them out and tell you what each one is. Due to this I have a much clearer understanding between the two. People have tried to explain it to me before and I really didn't care then but now I do and it really showed me what each one is supposed to do and what each of them handles this was very helpful to me and now I feel I really have a great understanding between the two. It also cleared up for me like who the plaintiff is and the defendant and shows me that civil court isn't just something you can blow over and you think its useless. Its really not its something we need and if we didn't have it ouch we would be hurting as people and as a nation. JE002

    ReplyDelete
  6. Before reading this article I actually did know the basic differences between civil and criminal law. Teachers in my high school told us that civil cases involved things such as suing and someone having to pay a fine, where as criminal cases actually involve someone being punished for committing a crime and receiving criminal charges or not. This article has confirmed that what my teachers had taught me was true, even though there is a little more to each one of these things. In criminal law one of the parties in the case is always the state or government, while the other is the criminal. In civil law cases, there does not have to be government involvement on either side. It can solely be between two citizens. The one thing that criminal and civil cases have in common is that one party of the case is going to have some sort of punishment they will have to carry out. zmw002

    ReplyDelete
  7. I think that this article was very informal on the difference between Civil and Criminal law. I wouldn't know the difference between them by name but after reading this it gave me a more clear understanding of how they both work. I have always know about criminal law. I just never knew it was called that. I also thought that it was interesting to see the different things that protect the defendants. I only knew a few of them on both side. I also am glad I know more about the civil law. I think that in civil law it is interesting how you can be tried twice on crimes such as assault and battery where in criminal you cannot be charged for the same crime twice. I also didn't realize that you couldn't be charged again for a lesser crime that you committed during the bigger crime you are being convicted of. Overall it really opened up my eyes to the differences between the two. Rocker002

    ReplyDelete
  8. Until I joined this class I did not know the true meaning of civil and criminology law. In criminal justice shows they talk about it sometimes, but they never describe them. Civil law is were the law is concerned with private relation between the members of the community.Like child custody, child support, contract violation and more.they settles personal or business when they feel wronged in a way.Criminal law is were they punish those who commit crimes. Crimes committed are like robbery and murder things like that. Adelle002

    ReplyDelete
  9. Prior to reading this article, I did know the difference between civil and criminal courts. However, there are many facts I didn’t know. I had no idea that the accuser in civil court, was called the plaintiff. I knew it had something to do with civil court, but honestly I was never sure. The fact that the plaintiff wins the case if 50 percent of the jury agrees with them, really shocks me. I figured that it would be based upon a two thirds vote, or maybe a judge’s ruling, but not a half and half decision. The fact that plaintiffs have to gather their own evidence for the trial in civil court is also something I just really didn’t think about. I am just so used to the police department collecting the information, I really didn’t think about how it was gathered in civil court. So all in all, this article was very informative. -OKC002

    ReplyDelete
  10. Before this class, and reading this article, I couldn't have told you what the difference is. Now I know that any who breaks the law will go to criminal court and if someone is being sued by another person it is civil court. What I find interesting about criminal court is that every trial is considered as against society as a whole. If I went out a keyed up someones car and broke their windows and get arrested then I wouldn't be tried against against the owner of the car but vs Peoria County, or wherever i was arrested. It is interesting to me that even if the crime you commit is against a person, it is till considered a crime against society and tried as such. I never thought what made someone go to court, criminal or civil. I thought there was no true distinction between criminal or civil court, so this article was very informative and helpful to me.
    JAG002

    ReplyDelete
  11. Until reading this article I assumed that civil and criminal law were nearly the same thing. I could not distinguish between the two terms. After reading the article I have discovered that they are indeed two different entities.
    Criminal law contains felonies and misdemeanors. Felonies are more than one year of incarceration and misdemeanors are less than a year of incarceration. In criminal law cases the guilty can either be incarcerated, fined, or executed.
    Civil law is not as big of a deal and results in less punishment.
    An example of criminal law would be burglarizing a vehicle.
    An example of civil law would be tagging a bridge. In civil law cases there is more discretion of punishment.
    Certain protections of the constitution is not applicable to civil law, but it is to criminal law. Officers must typically have a warrant for criminal
    oasis_002

    ReplyDelete
  12. Before reading this article I can honestly say that I was clueless about the difference between criminal law and civil law. Criminal Justice was just something that was very intriguing and seemed so interesting to go into, not knowing that I actually knew very little about it. Now, that I'm learning the differences and meanings of things its all coming together. In this article, they talked about civil law is which is when the law is concerned with private relation between the members of the community. Criminal law is were they punish those who commit crimes, obviously things like robbery or murder or anything along those lines of those certain crimes. Ky002

    ReplyDelete
  13. Before this class, I might have had a small idea of what criminal law and civil law are. Not knowing what they exactly are I would have thought that criminal law had to do with prisons and being put in jail. Civil law sounds like something that has to do with lawsuits or like suing someone. After learning about these laws now, I have a real understanding of each one. Criminal law focuses on the punishment of individuals who commit crimes. The punishments can be harsh, ranging from being incarcerated to being fined. Civil law deals with the style of law that is not focused on the criminal affairs, like criminal law does. In Civil law there is really no punishment. Civil law, the law is worried with the private relations between the members of the community. This deals with things such as child custody, child support, contract violations, etc. Criminal law seems to deal with more crimes that take place on the street and the punishment for those types of crimes. Civil law is almost in the background or unseen criminal activity. Steve002

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog