Sheriff, Undersheriff, Jail and My Thoughts....

Comments

  1. I learned a lot when the Under-Sherrif of Peoria come and talk to our class. I did not even know that that was a position within the department. I also learned that the Sherriffs also run the jails. She has a long and experienced filled background that makes her good for the job that she has. When we visited the jail, the pods were bigger than I expected. It would be rough though being locked up in them for a long time. I also have a lot of respect for Sherrif Asbell for doing a weekend in jail to experience it for himself. It is kind of like the video we watched in class about the head person doing the same thing. It is also an interesting thing is that he walks around the jail daily and talks to the inmates. That shows that he cares about making sure they have the best experience possible. He also has a lot of respect for his employees and makes sure they are taken care of, and that is explained by six officers taking a pay cut to come work for Peoria. He also talked about how a lot of inmates have mental health issues which are not good but it is reassuring to hear it from multiple sources, and that should be a bigger issue with people, and every jail or prison should be taking steps to help people with them. I wish we would have been able to see more of the jail, but I understand that with such a big group it is hard to fit into spaces. -Legion001

    ReplyDelete
  2. The entire experience of being visited by the under sheriff and having a personal tour of the jail by Sheriff Brian was amazing. Learning in our class what professionalism is and what it looks like really made more sense upon visiting the jail and hearing both individuals speak. The way that both the sheriff and under sheriff carry themselves was unique but they both have such strong views and goals for the Peoria County Jail and Sheriffs department that they are on the forefront of reform in our area. The Sheriff has very strict guidelines to how he runs the jail and you can witness his work already due to the average daily population almost being cut in half while he has been in control. Criminal justice reform is occurring in our era and being able to witness it and potentially contribute to the decline of mass incarceration is very exciting. The jail is ran efficiently and very effectively under the sheriff because of the values and programs he has instilled in the department. One of the programs I heard Brian talk about was where he brings in new officers and inmates into a room together to all speak as "men". This was very interesting to me because it sounds like it can lower the implicit bias from officer to inmate and can instill a sense of trust for the inmates to feel safe knowing the officers are human and vise versa. Lowering the implicit bias of an officer thinking he is better than the inmate is crucial for the successful communication needed to keep the jail a safe place. This whole experience was very amazing to see what the reform in our community looks like and learning how crucial the aspect of communication is to having a successful law enforcement career. -Blues001

    ReplyDelete
  3. This was the first time that I have ever attended a jail tour. Going on this jail tour was a different experience for me and gave me a new perspective on life. The group that attended the jail tour with me was so big that we did not get a chance to see everything that the jail does on a daily basis. The sheriff said we only got a chance to see about ten percent of the jail. We did get a chance to see where the police officers take the offenders when they first come into the jail which is called the detainment. After the sheriff was finish talking about what all was in the area as the rooms that they kept criminals in to sober up we got a chance to somewhat walk around the jail. Once we did that we broke up into groups and my group went into the female pods. The females pods was a very small area which contained about ten cells, a few tables, one shower, and the phones. Once the other group was done we went into the control room where the correctional officer can make sure the inmates are doing what they are supposed to be doing and to make sure that the inmates are staying out of trouble. The control room is a visual of the different sections of either the females and or the males side of the pods. The sheriff also talked about how he hired people which I thought was great. I don't really see myself as being a correctional officer but for other people they may love the job. Sheriff Brian said for you to work under him he requires he or she to work in a jail before they do anything else because you need to be able to use your words to defuse a situation. Which I think is very true because so many officers are so quick to pull a weapon out before even trying to calm he or she down. Batman002 Batman003

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was the second time I have attended this jail tour. The sheriff gives us really good information about the Peoria County Jail. The first time I went we weren't able to see the people in the pods but we were able to see how the correctional officers watch them. This recent time I went we were able to see the girls from where the correctional officers see them. Most of them looked tired and were either just watching tv or just walking back and forth from wall to wall. I noticed in one of the pods about 3 women were pregnant. I assume they put them in there together. Where we saw them at the guards are able to keep a close watch on them and tell them stop if they are doing something wrong. I thought it was amazing how he said when he first started working there it was always a full house and their was always many people in and out. But now the numbers have dropped and they are actually empty pods and he was able to show us those. The pods are definitely bigger than I imagined but they are still pretty small. There's literally only a toilet, sink and a place to put your mattress. There's no mirrors or windows or anything. Everyone also showers in the same shower at different times and its where the pods are at. The sheriff said that they have nurses 24/7 which I think is nice and very helpful to the inmates who need that certain treatment. Also the programs they have are really helpful too like your able to get your GED while in there so that way when you get out you can apply for jobs or maybe try and go to college. Overall the tour was nice and I learned new things. -brooklyn003

    ReplyDelete
  5. This was the first time I have ever been in jail or any kind, and I thought it was very interesting to see what it is like from someone who knows the in and outs of the place. I thought the sheriff was the perfect man to give the tour. I really liked how he was not afraid to say anything and was open with us about the struggles that occur and that can occur. It was also very cool that at one point we were able to be split up and go sit up in the tower with some of the CO's who were also very open and talked about what they deal with on a day to day basis. The jail was definitely bigger than I thought but they layout of the pods is exactly what I thought it was going to be.-Purdue001

    ReplyDelete
  6. It was my second time to this jail field trip and the tour was very informative and interesting. It was also a plieflege that the shelliff himselve had a chance to talk to us and explain what is going on in jail and how they handle people in there. First of all he said not all people are locked in there are bad, most guys are good guys only they did stupid mistakes in the community. They handle inmates with respect and since some of them are innocent only that they are in hold for the case to be addressed. The major problems he addressed is that most of them get frustrated and emotional because this guy stay in pods none tho do each day thats the time they try to coz problem. I was also surprised when he said they do help some of them to get menatal ill treatments also treatments for addiction guys. This will actually reduce people going back to jail for the same crime over and over. Gusii 003

    ReplyDelete
  7. Visiting the Peoria County Jail was a pretty interesting experience for me, especially considering that this is my second time being there. Last time I was at the Peoria jail was for a forensics class field trip of my junior year in high school, from that visit, I got to see a live K9 demonstration on finding cocaine,along with a short tour of the forensics room and evidence locker. Now that I've been able to see the other side of the jail, I can firmly say that I really do appreciate the offers because a place like a jail is something that can only be described so much until you're there. For instance, I thought Sheriff Asbell was very humbling and professional. I liked how he described his ultimate job as "to shut down the jail" and that now matter how things my look behind the bars "this is is not a zoo, these people have homes and families", I think coming right off the bat to a class with that confidence shows a lot about someones character. With that said I was also glad I got to have Rhonda Guyton, the undersheriff, come into my class and give a brief presentation. It's a little ironic because I have actually known of Mrs. Guyton for quite some time due knowing her son from all the way back to the 1st grade, but at the time I never knew how accredited she was, I just assumed she was a police officer because I was very young at the time. Mrs. Guyton, similiarly to Sheriff Asbell, aslo impressed me in her way of being so enthusiastic and exciting about her career, both of them always seemingly trying to give good advice and wishing the best of luck.-Rock001

    ReplyDelete
  8. Upon touring the Peoria County jail, I was not quite sure what to expect. I was glad to learn through this tour that Sheriff Asbell is very adamant on the fact that each inmate is still a person, and should be treated as such, with respect and dignity. He explained to us that a large percentage (I think he said 60%) of the people being held in their facility had not yet been convicted of any crime but are simply awaiting their trial. This fact is interesting to me because though some deserve long term incarceration, many of the people in jail are guilty of nothing more than being stupid. No matter what an individual is there for though, they are all greatly stigmatized as terrible criminals, animals even and quite frankly that is not true a lot of times. Overall, the experience was great and is something I will remember as i go into my career in criminal justice. -psych001

    ReplyDelete
  9. Visiting the jail was very interesting and informative. It was pretty cool having the sheriff guide us through the place and give us all sorts of information. He seems like a really good guy that genuinely cares. Being in the jail was a different experience. The air felt very heavy and tense and it was interesting being able to see the empty and occupied cell blocks. I wish we had gotten to see more cell blocks and just more of the jail in general, but I am glad I got to see what I did.-Smokeybear003

    ReplyDelete
  10. The jail tour was very insightful. When the officers bring in a prisoner, the officer must lockup their weapon in a lock box. This is very important, because it is a safety issue. The county jail is protecting themselves from a possible firearm incident. One thing that I did notice, is that in intake it is super-hot in there. I new that it would be warm, due to no air movement, but I did not realize it would be that hot. When we went into the women’s pod, it is really eye opening. The cells are super small, and there is no privacy. Everything in the cells are hard objects from the concrete bed to the stainless steal toilet and sink. It was interesting though, there is no panic buttons in the cells. I had asked how the inmates get the guards attention if something should arise where they need help. The sheriff replied, by kicking the door. The sheriff said that high risk medical inmates are housed near the medical staff. However; those who are housed there are not part of general population, they are by themselves. It was interesting when we went upstairs to the guard tower in the women’s pod. You are able to see all the pods, and able to monitor the pods at all times. Women make up around 10% of jail population, while males make up 90% of the jail population. Male cells have two inmates per cell. We did not go to that part of the jail. I did ask the sheriff if there was a program for drug addicts to bring in dirty needs and exchange them for clean ones. The sheriff said yes, and he believes that it is an effective program that works. The one thing I would have liked to do is tour the whole jail. Due to the groups, we were restricted to only certain areas. Illinigurl002

    ReplyDelete
  11. In my opinion, the jail tour was ten times better than the juvenile detention tour. I would rather would at the juvenile detention center rather than the jail, but the jail tour was absolutely amazing. The sheriff showed us everything from their intake; the jail cells themselves, and the guard towers. The sheriff also said a lot of things that I hear in class, but the one thing I repeatedly hear over and over again is that people should work in corrections before they work in policing. The crazy thing is the reason people say this is the same reason I repeatedly hear; because you need to know how to use your mouth and head before you go out on the street and try to resolve problems with a gun. I like the fact that he makes all of his cops work in the jail before they work out on the street, as if I think every department should do this. Not only you learn how to use your mouth and head instead of a gun, but your also working with some of the worst offenders so when you go out on the street it will not seem as bad. Another thing I thought was crazy was his story about his third day of being sheriff. He had to tell his wife that her brother had committed suicide in a police chase. This is very unfortunate for the sheriff but stuff like this happens every day. He also brought up that policeman have one of the highest divorce rates because they bring their job home with them. This makes perfect sense because being a cop is most likely stressful and if you bring it home with you everything else will just go downhill. One last thing I was impressed by was all the medical improvements in the past ten years. These medical programs are a necessity in prisons and jails in my opinion. -lilbaby001

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is my third time going to the peoria county jail and I still very much enjoyed going because I think it is a great educational experience. There were definitely some things we saw and heard the share of talk about that we have already learned in class which is very cool to see that what we are learning in the classroom truly can carry over into real life and possibly help us in our careers. One of the first things that I was able to compare was that 1 in 5 of those incarcerated were because of drug charges. The sheriff also made a point to say that he gets a lot of drug related inmates in his jail. This goes with the first thing as well because the sheriff also told us that most of them will end up out of the jail before they even have the paperwork done for the person in question. Also I just found it interesting that when they are taking inmates they do not do a full strip search even though they have every right to. It is good to hear that the Sheriff does not make every new inmate go through that and that really goes along with him trying to treat everybody dignity they deserve. That leads me into another thing that I can correlate with what we talked about in class. If you treat the inmates with dignity and respect and even give them tools they need to succeed when they get out or incentive programs it will help keep the fights to a minimum. That was one of the biggest things that stood out to me because we have been talking about that and it’s been in all of our videos about jails and prisons and that was one of his philosophy’s too. The third thing that was comparable was the fact that local jails hold 1 out of every three incarcerated people in the United States today. The sheriff told us that he hold regular local inmates along with inmate from other counties and states, while also holding federal inmates for prisons as well. This was also talked about in class as local jails are used as a sort of midway point and temporary holding points for federal prisoners. The fourth thing I saw that was comparable to what we have learned about was that people in jail are normally 16 to 24 years of age and they have been incarcerated for nonviolent offenses like drug charges. And that is exactly what the sheriff said at the end when we’re asking him about the demographics of jail. It was extremely refreshing to see that the sheriff is so passionate about having his Jail certified and to have many different forms of education whether it be for a GED or vocational work. He takes great pride in helping the inmates not return back to jail or prison and one of the best quote of the night I thought was that he wants to drive the population numbers down so far that he can shut the prison down.
    -RHB003

    ReplyDelete
  13. Although visiting the juvenile detention center was a new experience for me, visting the adult jail was not as new. I had previously been to this jail for a high school visit, and I have also toured/visited federal prisons. I enjoyed the the way the pods were setup as well as the fact that Sheriff Asbell is going under study by living in the pods for an extended amount of time. I find that to be a great idea because it is in some ways a "put yourself in my shoes" moment. I decided after the visit to the jail to even pull Sheriff Asbell aside and have a conversation about peoria county police and how they operate. I found this trip very beneficial and gave me a good mindset of future to come. -Lobster001

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog